Talking with TaxSpeaker: Video 60 HSA’s
1. A client has a current HSA with their employer but they also have an HAS from a former employer that still has a balance in it… Can they merge the two or have to treat the two separately?
2. Are eligible expenses plan specific or do we have clear cut guidance across the board of what qualifies and if it is the latter, Where do we find that?
3. The funds in an HSA stay with the individual even after they leave the employer, if the individual passes what happens to the balance? Would it be transferred to the spouse and what would be the tax implications if that is the case.
4. If you invest the funds of your HAS in stocks or mutual funds how/where do you recognize the gain?
5. Can a twenty one year old who is a dependent on my clients HDHP contribute to their own HSA?
6. Who can be named as a dependent of an HAS?
7. Are you allowed to deduct medical expenses paid with an HSA allowed
8. Can you roll over your HSA into your spouses HSA if you are no longer covered under a HDHP?
9. Does employer contributions/employer match count towards the annual contribution limits?
10. If you have an individual HSA can you use to pay for a qualified medical expense of your spouse and if that is allowed who can you use it to and who can you not? Does it have to be a spouse or dependent or can ou use the money at your discretion?